Saturday 27 June 2009

A long awaited carrot cake







It is a long long time since I have been here. While Lachie has been eating gluten and we have been waiting the the results of his coeliac test I think we have been resting on our laurels. Not exactly forging ahead with exciting new baking! But this week we have baked alot and the most exciting baked item was a vegan carrot cake. I love carrot cake but don't think Lachie had ever eaten any. 'Carrot cake' is now very much part of his vocabulary.

I found this recipe after a google seach for 'vegan carrot cake' and it is excellent. I was a little worried after the addition of the water, it looked a bit ... watery. But have faith, the reults are superdoo.

Carrot cake (dairy and egg free)

8 oz grated carrot
6 oz raisins
10 oz self raising flour
6 oz soft light brown sugar
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1 tsp ground ginger
7 floz sunflower oil
7 floz water
a pinch of salt
a dash of vinegar
1/2 tsp vanilla essence

Mix together the dry ingredients and then mix in the wet ones. Pour the mixture into a lined square cake tin (I think mine is about 10 inches). Bake in the oven for 45 minutes at 190 degrees Celsius and then another 30 minutes at 160 degrees. Cool in the tin.

We iced our cake the next day with 3 oz icing sugar beaten into 1 1/2 oz diary free margarine with a dash of vanilla essence. This was a bit stingey on the icing front, I think you could easily double that.

I have to say that having made this cake I can't see why you would feel the need to put egg in a carrot cake. I loved it, the boys loved it and Hamish's friend Nancy who came to tea loved it. Yum.

No comments:

Post a Comment