Sunday 21 December 2008

A Snowflake Chocolate Cake

This afternoon Lachie and Hamish helped me to make our favourite chocolate cake. I have adapted this recipe from when we were just egg- and dairy-free and works brilliantly with gluten-free flour. This cake is delicious and you would never guess what it didn't have in it!

Chocolate Cake (gluten-free, egg-free and dairy-free)

For the cake
10 oz gluten-free self raising flour (we have been using Dove Farm)
3 tbsp cocoa
6 oz caster sugar
1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
1/2 pint soya milk
5 oz dairy free margarine
3 tbsp golden syrup

Mix together the flour, cocoa and sugar and rub in the margarine until it looks like crumbs. Mix the bicarbonate of soda with the milk and pour over the crumbs along with the golden syrup. Beat all the ingredients together until you have a runny batter with lots of little lumps. Divide between two greased 8 inch cake tins and bake for 25 minutes at 180 degrees Celsius. I find that vegan cakes are best left to cool in the tin.

Icing
To ice the cake I make up a bowl of chocolate 'butter cream' icing. Cream icing sugar and cocoa into dairy free margarine. I don't measure this, I just keep adding and tasting until it looks and tastes right. I use the icing to sandwich the two cakes together and cover the top.

The snowflake
I was feeling festive this evening and decided to surprise the boys with a snowflake on the top of the cake. I used a paper snowflake we had make for the window, laid it over the cake and dusted with icing sugar. Take away the paper and there is your snowflake pattern. It made the boys smile!

No comments:

Post a Comment